The organisation of instruments and samples in a song is done through the Instrument Selector. Unlike other sequencers, an instrument in Renoise, such as a piano, is not necessarily bound to a single track; you can play the piano on any track you like. Additionally, the sound can be used on multiple tracks simultaneously.
Instruments in Renoise
An instrument in Renoise may be comprised of one or more of the following:
Instrument Selector Overview
The Instrument Selector lists the instruments currently loaded into the song. The currently selected instrument is highlighted and will be played back and recorded when editing or recording notes into patterns. Instruments are numbered on the left and this number is used by the Pattern Editor to refer to each specific instrument during playback.
To add a new empty slot or remove an instrument from the list, use the + and - buttons on the left hand side.
Modifying, Copy/Pasting Instruments
Right clicking on the Instrument Selector presents you with some extra options.
- Rename: Give an instrument/sample a new name.
- Render Plugin To Instrument...: Available for plugin instruments only. This will create a sample-based instrument from the selected plugin instrument. After rendering, the new instrument replaces the plugin, which is also unloaded. Using this method you can share Renoise songs with people who may not have a specific plugin.
- Render Plugin To New Instrument...: Again, only available for plugin instruments. This will create a new sample-based instrument from the selected plugin instrument. The new instrument is placed into an empty instrument slot, leaving the original plugin untouched.
- Delete Unused Instruments: Will remove and unload all instruments which are unused, i.e. not played on any pattern within the song.
- Delete Unused Samples: Will remove and unload all samples within instruments that are unused, i.e. not played on any pattern within the song.
- Load Instrument...: Opens a new dialog box to select a file for importing.
- Save Instrument As...: Export an instrument to a file for later use and importing. This can also be done in the Disk Browser.
Drag and Drop
The list can be reorganized by dragging and dropping instruments in the Instrument Selector. When this is done, Renoise automatically adjusts the numerical reference of instruments within the Pattern Editor, ensuring that the song still plays the same. If you wish to swap or replace one instrument with another, you can do so by copy/pasting it, or by remapping it in the Advanced Edit panel.
Samples and instruments can be dragged and dropped from the Disk Browser to the instrument list. Sample or instrument files can also be dragged and dropped from Windows Explorer (PC) or Finder (OSX). Note that in this case the currently selected instrument slot will be used, possibly overwriting an existing instrument.
- ALT + UP/DOWN: Select previous/next instrument in the list.
- NUMPAD KEYS -/+: Select previous/next instrument in the list.
- ALT + LEFT/RIGHT: Select previous/next page in the Instrument Selector.
- NUMPAD KEYS 1-9: Select first to ninth instrument currently visible in the list.
- ALT + SHIFT + UP/DOWN: Scrolls through the list of samples contained in the current instrument.